This post seems very straight forward but it is very difficult to shift to another operating model. Transformations and change efforts would be a lot easier if there was alignment with strategy to operations and mapping the future state becomes possible.
My opinion is many organizations are starting to focus on speed and change their organizational structure to push organizational agility but often they are not interested or risk averse to go far enough to really align strategy, future state and structure of operations. Organizations drive for outcomes and the six points that were important to driving a strong organization:
Our research points to at least six ways to potentially increase your chances of building a model that can help guide a successful digital transformation:
• Nominate and empower function and business leaders early on to drive the cultural change required across the organization.
• Define clear roles and responsibilities across businesses, regions, and functional support groups.
• Create complementary incentives and goals for businesses and functions to reduce conflict and optimize resource allocation.
• Establish cross-functional debriefs to keep relevant parties informed, and nominate an owner to manage the process early.
• Institute a governance model with clear KPIs for each leadership team—one that supports quick, independent decision-making.
• Standardize resource and knowledge exchange to ensure that skill sets are cultivated and proliferated.
Leaders, revising their five-year plans every quarter, are constantly seeking ways to reinvent their companies and stay ahead of the pack, given competitors of varying capabilities and scale and customers who expect more for less. For many companies, the answer is large-scale global transformation. Eighty percent of CEOs in one study claim to have transformations in place to make their businesses more digital; 87 percent expect to see a change in their operating models within three years.
But leaders see establishing those operating models as their top challenge in achieving digital transformation. So how might they move forward? A review of transformations across industries reveals a common theme: Successful transformations realign the organization to a singular vision; failed endeavors typically do not.
An organization has a far better chance at succeeding when its operating model?or how the organization creates value?is aligned to its strategy. And this means that for transformations…
View original post 1,117 more words